A Vice President at HVS, John Berean has extensive experience consulting in lodging markets throughout California, Hawaii, and the western United States. Born and raised on O’ahu, John is based in San Francisco, but maintains a presence in his hometown of Honolulu; John is the firm's leader for Hawaii consulting projects. His extensive consulting experience is highlighted below.
- John regularly publishes articles on recent lodging trends in Northern California and Hawaii and has an intricate knowledge of these markets. Please contact John regarding any market-specific questions or projects.
- While John has evaluated hotels of all asset classes, he specializes in complex consulting and valuation assignments. His consulting experience has included the following notable assets:
- Auberge du Soleil, an Auberge Resort (Rutherford, CA)
- AutoCamp Yosemite (Midpines, CA)
- The Battery (San Francisco, CA)
- Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea (Wailea, Maui, HI)
- Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay (Half Moon Bay, CA)
- Westin St. Francis on Union Square (San Francisco, CA)
- Proposed Gaylord Pacific Resort & Convention Center (Chula Vista, CA)
- John also has considerable experience evaluating mixed-use, resort-residential developments with a rental-management program and/or condominium sellout, a sample of which is provided below.
- Grand Wailea, a Waldorf Astoria Resort (Wailea, Maui, HI)
- Montage Kapalua (Kapalua, Maui, HI)
- Ritz-Carlton Kapalua (Kapalua, Maui, HI)
- Turtle Bay Resort (Kahuku, O’ahu, HI)
- Terranea Resort (Ranchos Palos Verdes, CA)
- Proposed Stanly Ranch, an Auberge Resort (Napa, CA)
Fluent in Mandarin and English, John graduated with a master’s degree in Finance from Peking University HSBC Business School in Shenzhen, Guangdong, China. John is a state-certified general appraiser working towards a designation of MAI as a Designated Member of the Appraisal Institute.
Follow John on LinkedIn
HVS is the nation's leading consulting firm that is laser-focused on the hospitality sector. The firm provides expertise through every phase of ownership across a wide range of hospitality assets. We help clients succeed in the complex consulting arena, from feasibility studies to exit strategies and everything in between.