A Director with the HVS Colorado office, Katy Black, MAI, is an appraisal and consulting expert in the lodging markets throughout the Western U.S. Since joining HVS in 2013, Katy has gained diverse experience spanning limited-service motels, city-center hotels, luxury assets, golf resorts, and mixed-use developments, as well as resort-residential and rental-management programs. She specializes in high-end, complex resorts and has provided valuation services for gaming assets and large hotel portfolios.
Significant resort-style, mixed-use properties that Katy has consulted on or appraised include the following:
- Oasis at Death Valley (Death Valley, CA)
- La Quinta Resort & Club (La Quinta, CA)
- The Phoenician (Scottsdale, AZ)
- Ventana Inn & Spa (Big Sur, CA)
- Monarch Beach Resort (Dana Point, CA)
- Edgewood Golf Resort (Stateline, NV)
- Sunriver Resort (Sunriver, OR)
- Grand Wailea, a Waldorf Astoria Resort (Wailea, HI)
Furthermore, Katy’s experience with mixed-use resorts in several ski markets has allowed her to gain significant knowledge surrounding the nuances of these unique properties and projects. Some examples of Katy’s work in ski markets are provided below.
- Hotel Madeline (Telluride, CO)
- Four Seasons (Vail, CO)
- Park Hyatt Beaver Creek (Beaver Creek, CO)
- Four Seasons Jackson Hole (Teton Village, WY)
- Red Mountain Ski Resort & Village (Rossland, B.C., Canada)
- Proposed Landmark Condo-Hotel at Whitefish (Whitefish, MT)
- Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe (Truckee, CA)
In addition to resort-style hotels, Katy has worked extensively on unique lodging properties, such as glamping resorts, casino hotels, hostels, and waterpark resorts. A small selection of her past experience with these lodging facilities is listed below.
- Montbleu Resort Casino & Spa (Stateline, NV)
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino (Las Vegas, NV)
- Ocean Resort Casino (Atlantic City, NJ)
- Autocamp Portfolio (Three U.S. Locations)
- St. Julien Hotel & Spa (Boulder, CO)
- Grand Hyatt (Denver, CO)
- Proposed Indigo Hotel & Condominium Development (Vancouver, WA)
- Proposed Crowne Plaza and Aquatic Center (Goddard, KS)
- Proposed 1 Hotel and Residences (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Great Wolf Lodge Portfolio and Company Valuation (Various U.S. Locations)
Katy graduated from the University of Delaware with an honors BS in Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management. She also earned an MS in Accounting from the University of Akron. She is a state-certified general appraiser and a Designated Member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI).
Follow Katy on LinkedIn
HVS is the nation's leading consulting firm that is laser-focused on the hospitality sector. The firm provides expertise through every phase of ownership across a wide range of hospitality assets. We help clients succeed in the complex consulting arena, from feasibility studies to exit strategies and everything in between.