This is not the only positive news for The Meadowlands. Aaron Rodgers, former quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, has joined the New York Jets. The NFL’s New York Giants and New York Jets both play home games at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands Sports Complex. The addition of Rodgers to the team was anticipated to boost attendance at the Jets’ home games. However, Rodgers suffered a torn Achilles injury during the September 11th game against the Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium; his recuperation time is currently unknown. Despite Rodgers’ potential season-ending injury, having Aaron Rodgers as quarterback for the Jets shows the viability of the team to attract top talent.
Meanwhile, the Meadowlands Sports Complex is also benefiting from a greater volume of foot traffic due to the American Dream entertainment and retail center. The major retail and entertainment complex, which initially broke ground in 2004, finally came to fruition in phases from 2019 through 2021 after some major financial setbacks and acquisition by a new ownership entity, with additional attractions and retail added since then. The opening timeline is outlined below.
- Phase I of American Dream (Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park and The Rink ice skating rink) opened on October 25, 2019.
- Phase III (Big Snow ski area) opened on December 5, 2019.
- The indoor DreamWorks Water Park, which was originally planned as Phase II of this development, opened in October 2020. A portion of the retail and dining establishments also opened that month.
- An assortment of retail stores opened in late spring 2021.
- The climate-controlled, 300-foot Ferris wheel known as Dream Wheel opened to the public in April 2022.
- The H Mart supermarket opened in February 2023, and the Hugo Boss fashion retail store opened in June 2023.
The Meadowlands area benefits from easy access to/from New York City via the Lincoln Tunnel. Lodging facilities in the Meadowlands area are an option for travelers visiting the New York City attractions who seek cost-effective accommodations or have space requirements. For example, construction crews working on projects in Manhattan often stay in or near the Meadowlands due to the greater availability of large-vehicle parking and lower room rates.
While commercial demand has been affected by hybrid work policies, this area has been experiencing relatively strong leisure demand. Additionally, new supply is limited within the Meadowlands area. The newest hotels are the Wyndham Garden Hotel North Bergen Near Secaucus and Aloft Secaucus Meadowlands, which both opened in 2020.
It will be interesting to see the revitalization of the Meadowlands area in the next several years.
Learn more about the impact of the redevelopment efforts on hotel demand in the northern New Jersey area by contacting Patricia Shih or Roland deMilleret, MAI, your northern New Jersey/New York City HVS hospitality experts.