HVS’ Chairman of the China and South East Asia Region David Ling has announced that the firm’s inaugural Indonesia Hospitality & Tourism Investment Conference (IHT) has “established itself as the most influential and largest hotel investment conference in Indonesia.”
Co-hosted by the Ministry of Tourism & Creative Economy and the Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), and themed “Invest in the World’s Largest Archipelago: Indonesia,” the Conference was held May 7 and 8, 2013 at the Ritz-Carlton Pacific Place, Jakarta and brought together more than 370 delegates, high-profile speakers and leaders of the hotel and tourism industry from over 14 countries.
Her Excellency Dr. Mari Elka Pangestu, Minister for Tourism and Creative Economy of the Republic of Indonesia, delivered the keynote address on the Ministry’s national master plan which included initiatives for promoting tourism throughout the country. Dr. Mari highlighted the tourism development and investment opportunities across Indonesia, including a master plan to promote six economic corridors and 16 tourism areas on which the ministry will focus for the next two years. Paying tribute and recognition to her instrumental contribution to Indonesia’s tourism industry, Dr. Mari was presented with the IHT’s Conference Tourism Excellence Award.
Robert Ward, Country Publishing Director of the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), provided insights on the global economy and its changing dynamics and outlook; and identified major factors that would shape Asia’s continued growing economy. Ward also highlighted the investment growth in Indonesia and EIU’s forecast that net foreign direct investments into Indonesia will amount to nearly US $35 billion by 2017.
HVS’s David Ling led the first panel session of regional CEOs who shared their strategies on expanding in Indonesia and their views on the investment opportunities in the world’s largest archipelago.
Dr. Chatib Basri, Chairman of the Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM) delivered an address on the investment opportunities in Indonesia and the untapped markets on which to capitalise. He shared his views on the characteristics and demands of the increasingly growing middle class and BKPM’s strategies to boost investments in the country.
Additional distinguished Conference speakers included:
- Michael Issenberg, Chairman & Chief Operating Officer, Accor Asia Pacific;
- Widodo Marmer, President Director, Angkasa Pura Hotels;
- Abid Butt, Chief Executive Officer, Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts;
- Simon Barlow, President Asia Pacific, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group;
- Dr. Ilham Habibie, Chairman, Indonesia Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Germany, Austria and Switzerland Committee (KIKJAS);
- Wiryanti Sukamdani, Chairperson, Indonesia Tourism Promotion Board;
- Kosmian Pudjiadi, Commissioner, Jayakarta Hotels & Resorts;
- Paul Foskey, Executive Vice President, Marriott International
- Peter Meyer, Managing Director, Pacific Partners;
- Shirley Tan, Senior Vice President - Investments, Developments & Marketing, Rajawali Property Group;
- Riyanto Sofyan, Chairman, Sofyan Hotels;
- Mark Lankester, Chief Executive Officer, Tune Hotels;
- Marco Nijhof, Chief Executive Officer, yoo Hotels
Accor was presented with the International Hospitality Excellence Award, for its advancement and strong presence in Indonesia. The Hotel Development Excellence Award was presented to the Mulia Group for The Mulia Bali, Mulia Resort & Villas.