- The former Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows closed in October 2018; redevelopment is currently underway, and the hotel is expected to reopen as an Auberge Resort in late 2019.
- In January 2019, developer Kennedy Wilson announced that the Kona Village Resort would reopen as a Rosewood Resort in 2022.
- Ocean Tower by Hilton Grand Vacations opened in February 2019; the 72 timeshare units are the first of a multi-phase redevelopment of the former 600-room Ocean Tower at Hilton Waikoloa Village.
- Developer R.D. Olson broke ground on the 110-room AC Hotel by Marriott Wailea in April 2019.
- The Blackstone Group is currently pursuing entitlements related to a 224-guestroom expansion and renovation of the Grand Wailea, a Waldorf Astoria Resort.
- Construction has started on the first phase of the Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacations; the initial phase is expected to feature 131 timeshare units and is anticipated to open in 2021.
- The Four Seasons Lanaʻi Lodge at Koele is expected to reopen in early 2020 following its closure in January 2015.
- Park Hotels & Resorts announced plans to develop a new hotel under a brand affiliated with Hilton Inc. adjacent to the Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations.
- Construction is likely to commence before year-end 2019 on the Mandarin Oriental Hotel & Residences near the Hawaiʻi Convention Center and Ala Moana Shopping Center.
- The Modern Honolulu, purchased by Diamond Resorts in 2018, is expected to be converted to timeshare units; a concrete timeline for its redevelopment has yet to be announced.
- The Princeville Resort (formerly known as the St. Regis Princeville) is anticipated to undergo an extensive renovation and reopen as the 1 Hotel Hanalei Bay in 2022.
- Following a failed redevelopment attempt under the Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand, the site of the former Coco Palms Resort is reportedly on the market.
HVS continues to regularly consult in this area, with the San Francisco office serving the greater Hawaii market. John Berean; Adam Lair, MAI; and Suzanne R. Mellen, MAI, CRE, FRICS, ISHC; are ready to assist you on any consulting need you may have.
 Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism (DBEDT)
 Hawai’i Tourism Authority (HTA)
 Auberge Resorts Collection. “Hawaii's Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows Joins Auberge Resorts Collection”. 23 May 2018: https://aubergeresorts.com/press/hawaiis-mauna-lani-bay-hotel-bungalows-joins-auberge-resorts-collection/
 Rosewood Hotels & Resorts. “Kona Village, A Rosewood Resort to Open in 2022 on the Island of Hawai'i”. 30 Jan. 2019: https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/media/press/2019/Kona-Village-A-Rosewood-Resort-to-Open-in-2022
 Hilton Grand Vacations. “Hilton Grand Vacations Opens Ocean Tower by Hilton Grand Vacations Club”. 7 Feb. 2019: https://www.hgv.com/hilton-grand-vacations-opens-ocean-tower-by-hilton-grand-vacations-club/
 R.D. Olson Construction. “R.D. Olson Construction Breaks Ground on AC Hotel Wailea”, 10 Apr. 2019: https://www.rdolson.com/news-items/r-d-olson-construction-breaks-ground-on-ac-hotel-wailea/
 Tanji, Melissa. “Grand Wailea planning 224 room expansion.” 28 Feb. 2019: https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2019/02/grand-wailea-planning-224-room-expansion/
 Hilton Grand Vacations. “Hilton grand Vacations to expand Hawaii portfolio, offer first property on Maui”. 25 Jan. 2019: https://www.hgv.com/hilton-grand-vacations-to-expand-hawaii-portfolio-offer-first-property-on-maui/
 Gollan, Doug. “Four Seasons to open Nine Resorts in 2019”. 5 Dec. 2018: https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Four-Seasons-to-Open-Nine-Resorts-In-2019
 Magin, Janis L. “Park Hotels & Resorts plans to build first new Waikiki hotel in 30 years”. 27 Mar. 2019: https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2019/03/27/park-hotels-resorts-plans-to-build-first-new.html
 Magin, Janis L. “Prices of Residences at Mandarin Oriental Honolulu to start at $3.5M”. 15 Jan. 2019: https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2019/01/15/prices-of-residences-at-mandarin-oriental-honolulu.html
 O’Connor, Christina. “The Modern Honolulu to lay off 78, according to Local 5”. 2 Feb. 2019: https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2019/05/02/the-modern-honolulu-to-lay-off-78-according-to.html
 SH Hotels & Resorts. “Starwood Capital Group Acquires Princeville Resort”. 16 Nov. 2018: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/starwood-capital-group-acquires-princeville-resort-300752310.html
 Magin, Janis L. “Coco Palms project listed with no asking price but valued at $40M”. https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2019/03/28/coco-palms-project-listed-with-no-asking-price-but.html
Thank you for this information! I used to live on the big island. I agree that the hotel industry is facing more competition from other forms of lodging on the islands. From my experience, more visitors to the islands want an authentic experience and care more about doing things outside their lodging versus staying and using the lodging facilities. I look forward to seeing how Hawaii continues to grow.